Tuesday, June 4, 2013

What a Buzz Kill


            When I was a kid, anytime my mother told me we were going to the doctor’s office, I always feared the worst. As cool as I would try to act, when I saw the doctor preparing to give me a shot, tears would well up in my eyes. Visiting my pediatrician was always a traumatic experience, but being stung by a bee, now that was a nightmare. I can remember numerous summers in which I would be at the pool with minding my own business when I would inadvertently encroach on a bee’s territory and for that, pay the price. Now as much as I hated shots, I was petrified by bees. A mere sighting of one within ten feet of me and I would head straight to the pool and stay under water for as long as I could. Now, as I have learned more about the little creature, I am less worried about the pain they cause and more disturbed by the work and headaches they can bring about.
            An infestation of bees around your home is an unwelcome burden. Apart from the initial worry of being stung, they bring about a whole new set of problems when they decide to make your casa, their casa. Let me give you a hypothetical scenario that happens all the time for homeowners.
            Let’s say part of your house has siding. One day while mowing the grass, you happen to notice a few bees entering and departing your home from a little hole above your siding directly underneath your soffit. Chances are the bees you saw commuting back and forth have built a hive behind your siding and are currently in the process of creating honey and expanding their operation. This scenario presents two problems:
1.      You will need to eliminate the bees to protect you and your family.
2.      Removing the hive will be necessary to prevent any molding and further damage to your home.
So, how can you eliminate the bees? Because bees live in a hive (colony), they are social insects. A pesticide that can be introduced by just a few to the hive is ideal. The high levels of contact while in the hive will promote rapid spread of the product. Bees can be aggressive, so it is recommended to treat in the evenings when they are most docile. You will want to use a powdered insecticide such as D-Fense Dust combined with an insecticidal duster and gently dust into the opening where the bees travel. After three days, assess the activity, you may need to apply again to eliminate all of the bees.
            Once the bees have been eradicated, it is crucial to locate the hive. While the bees were busy living behind your siding, they made a sizable hive that contains honey. When alive, the colony of bees keeps the honey cool using their wings as “fans” creating cooler temperatures within the hive.  Now that the bees no longer exist, the honey will begin to warm and melt creating a severe mold issue if not promptly taken care of.

            I no longer fear the sting of a bee; I have come to realize that the pain is temporary. But, the damage bees can do to your home can be permanent and severe if not properly resolved. Bee control is not difficult, unfortunately depending on what they inhabit, it can be arduous. Use or Contact Us page if you have any questions, we have a number of knowledgeable staff ready to help you work through any problems you have.  

No comments:

Post a Comment